Most businesses seldom do strategic planning. Many of those businesses that do strategic planning hire consultants to develop their plan, but receive little to no benefit or results. In most cases, the plan was the consultant’s and not the business owner’s or their management team. Implementation either doesn’t happen or it is done haphazardly. SBC takes a different approach. Michael Smith and Maggie Behar work “hand in hand” with every client to develop a planning process for them, one which has them involved in every step of the process. The end result is a plan that was developed, agreed upon and committed to through a collaborative effort between SBC and the client’s key stakeholders. Michael and Maggie see the development of the plan as the beginning of a process for creating long-term results. They continue to work with each client on the implementation of the plan to ensure positive momentum and measurable and sustainable results. SBC’s Strategic Planning process has been developed and refined over many years to create the maximum results.
THE STEPS OF STRATEGIC PLANNING PROCESS:
- Interview owners, key management, staff and other employees.
- Review of financial performance, corporate structure and management practices.
- Gather information regarding competition, demographics and economy affecting the organization.
- Present insightful and objective findings, conclusions and recommendations to management.
- Facilitate planning retreat or meetings to develop and document the strategic plan.
- Prepare a written strategic plan, including:
- Company values
- Statement of purpose/mission statement
- Vision for the future
- Performance goals
- Strategies for achieving goals
- Schedule for monitoring results and updating plan annually
- Present strategic plan to employees.
- Assist the client by implementing specific strategies and facilitate follow-up meetings for creating internal accountability.